Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Lonzo Ball: Moving On To The NBA


In an post game interview after UCLA's heartbreaking loss to Kentucky on March 24, freshman guard Lonzo Ball told reporters he is off to the NBA. When a reporter asked Ball if that was his final game as a Bruin, Ball said, "Yeah that's my final game for UCLA. I appreciate all the fans and all the support." 

It did not come as a shock to most people considering the comments that his very outspoken father, LaVar Ball, has made regarding Lonzo's time at UCLA. Lonzo is a crafty guard with a lot of potential. He is the playmaker, the quarterback of the team. UCLA goes as he goes... or went, I guess I should say. 

I don't have a problem that Ball is headed to the NBA. He has the skills to be a premiere guard in the league and I believe that he is ready. But I do have a problem regarding this situation. First, the timing. Ball declared for the NBA directly after UCLA's loss to Kentucky in the sweet sixteen. In my opinion, I think that says a lot about him as a player. Your team just loss an extremely important game. For the seniors on your squad, they just played their last game. They would love to have just one more game let alone the three extra years you could have if you stayed. But yet, you go ahead and declare for the NBA. I think it's selfish to do that directly after the game. Ball made it all about him. It makes him look like he doesn't even care about the seniors or the team in general. Then it makes me question, "Did he ever really care about the team at all?" He did have an undeclared major which makes me think that he knew he was leaving after his first year anyway. Was he just in it for himself the whole time? 

Whatever the case, I cannot take away how great of a player he is. I am sure he will have success in the NBA. Good for him. But I think there are some unwritten rules when it comes to that kind of situation. A year ago when Peyton Manning won Super Bowl 50, he was asked a similar question, "Is this your final game of your career?" To that Manning responded, "I'll take some time to reflect, but I have a couple of priorities to take care of first." A month later, Manning announced that he was retiring. I think the way Peyton did it was extremely unselfish and classy. Maybe Ball could learn a thing or two from him. 

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below! 

H2





2 comments:

  1. Lonzo is going to be one of the best guards in the NBA one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Lonzo is a great player but he still needs to develop a lot more. Not to mention his dad put a huge target on his head already.

    ReplyDelete